Use of library in commercial application

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM

YUI Compressor for .NET is licensed under GPLv2 license, but how come some projects are linking it with MS-PL license, I thought that they are incompatble.

Question is, can we use this library in commercial application?

Kindest regards.

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Good question.

First up - i have NO IDEA about all these friggin licenses and crap. So if someone wants to tell me the right answer, i'll bleat like a sheep and follow along mindlessly.

Secondly - my intention is that this project can be used where ever, when ever and for what ever (yep! commercial apps for sure).

Initially (ie - when i created this codeplex project years back), i just grabbed the first license that sounded ok (hint: that didn't mean i read AND understood all the legalese). The original Java code is BSD, which i think means i can do whatever BUT i need to make sure i include the proper 'head-nod' to the source (aka java code) with that same license - so people understand that I didn't create this, but have taken then code and improved upon it.

And I would like the same, here. People - go nuts, but just make sure that you give a head-nod to this source, which gives a head-nod to the original source.

That's why i changed the license (in this release) TO GPLv2 because i think that license is the most open and allows everyone to go nuts with this code.

But I could be horribly wrong.

So - smarter people out there - correct me if i'm wrong and tell me what I should really be doing :P

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:07 PM

We are developing an application framework based on ASP.NET and Sencha Ext JS.

Framework will be available based on commercial or GPL license.

We would like to include Yui.Compressor in our framework as it fits perfectly.

Problem is with our commercial license. We would like that our customers can use our framework, and your library, in non-gpl products.

Is it possible to get a license (from author) for distribution in commercial applications? We would then include that license in our commercial license.

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM

I'm currently reviewing the license of this library. I want it to be free and usable in any project (commercial or non-commercial) .. but i think the current license doesn't allow this. I'll be updating this VERY soon :)

I'm thinking it will be a BSD license. I just don't understand any of this open-source licensing stuff .. which is why I've got it wrong, so far .. as opposed to any nefarious reason.

Watch this space soon :)

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:39 AM

The original yui compressor (yahoo yui compressor) can be usable in any project (free license) ? if it can be I think your library can be free

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:32 AM

The current license has now been changed to New BSD .. which I believe means u can use it in a commercial (closed-system) product but just give some credit in you source code, somewhere.