Drop support for downloads and only use NuGet?

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2012 at 12:20 PM

NuGet has changed the way things are in the .NET ecosystem. Woot :)

So, I would prefer to stop providing links here to download the dll's and just point people to NuGet.

If you don't use NuGet (which is fine) then just download the code yourself and build.

= People should be using NuGet =

One of the main reasons for this is because, currently, it's a pain in the arse to update the builds available here on CodePlex. It's very manual and crappy.

So .. any objections .. and if so .. why?

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I don't use NuGet :)

The sorts of places I work tend to like tight control on what they allow in/out of the building and what version of what is used in a project, and they don't get that if everyone uses NuGet.....equally, building from source runs the "risk" that the source has been changed by the developer, or there are some unforseen sideeffects of building on THAT particular machine, 32 or 64 bit etc.

Now with a library such as this, which is really for build time (as opposed to runtime) use, it's not so much an issue, but it *is* an issue with other libraries, so for the sake of consistency, I would prefer to continue having the option to acquire versioned assemblies from codeplex and anyone else in the organisation who cares to get the same version should be guaranteed that it is exactly that - the very same assembly I used.

I'm not familiar (yet) with the packaging process on codeplex....perhaps there is a way we can automate something to make it easier?

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Right now, I download all the files available. I then replace the dll's in there (and sometimes supporting docs, like the msbuild xml file), zip them back up, and upload them to the new release.

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2012 at 5:49 PM
And how do you make the nuget package?

On 27 Jan 2012, at 12:48, purekrome <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Right now, I download all the files available. I then replace the dll's in there (and sometimes supporting docs, like the msbuild xml file), zip them back up, and upload them to the new release.

Coordinator
Jan 27, 2012 at 9:43 PM
I have the package setup stuff in the solution. Then I use an external app to clean and push. I can do this next week.

Sent from my iPhone

On 28/01/2012, at 4:49 AM, "freeranger" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

And how do you make the nuget package?

On 27 Jan 2012, at 12:48, purekrome <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote: